Having a winning product is all about meeting unmet needs, whether it’s a widget or a Web site — or a newspaper.
No unmet needs; no need.
We journalists don’t often like to compare what we do to the widget factory … oh, it’s far more important stuff than that.
But Dan Pacheco of The Bakersfield Californian takes a stab at looking at the unmet needs journalist need to fill on what he calls a Web Safari through things going on at his newspaper.
- Be the eyes and ears of your local community.
- Provide the water cooler — “News is what people are talking about”
- Provide the new town square
- Provide the new third space
- Track the community pulse — what do people care about today?
- Provide the most trusted information possible, leveraging the collective knowledge of your community.
Pretty good list. He includes examples.
Tags: bakersfield californian | journalism | journalist