Image via CrunchBase
Missed the company’s birthday by a few days, but Yahoo! was incorporated on March 1, 1995.
If you had bought in at the opening $24.50 back then and kept the stock through the 5 splits you would have 24 shares for each initial one. So you would have $377.52 as of close of trading today (3/2/2010) – given the current value of $15.73. Interestingly this would be a little over 15 times your initial investment. (Search Engine Land)
The years other Internet companies were started.
- Amazon was founded in 1994.
- Yahoo! was founded in 1995.
- eBay was founded in 1995.
- Craigslist was started in 1995 and incorporated in 1999.
- Google was founded in 1998.
- Flickr was founded in 2002.
- MySpace was founded in 2003.
- Skype was founded in 2003
- Facebook was founded in 2004.
- YouTube was founded in 2005.
- Twitter was founded in 2006.
- Fourquare.com was founded in 2009
I seem to enjoy marking Yahoo’s birthdays. Here is what its home page looked like in 1996 from the WayBackMachine archive.